Insulating domestic hot water pipes is one of the easiest and most cost effective measures you can do. Savings will depend on heating fuel (see below), but in almost all cases the payback is well within one year. Frost King 5P10x fits 1/2" Copper or 1/4" Iron Pipes and comes in a 4 pack. 1/2" wall meets new code requirements.
- Annual Savings (Oil Heat @ $1.10/gallon): $0.58 per foot
- Annual Savings (Natural Gas @ $0.75/therm): $0.56 per foot
- Annual Savings (Electricity $0.10/kWh): $1.20 per foot
(source: All About Insulation, Massachusetts Audubon Society, 1986, p 18)
Tube pipe insulation may be used on domestic cold and hot water pipes. Pipe insulation will help to reduce heat loss by up to 80 percent through hot water pipes and will stop sweating on cold water pipes. Pipe insulation can also help reduce plumbing noise. It is pre-slit for easy installation (simply snapping onto the pipe), and may be trimmed with a utility knife. One package includes four 3ft long pieces, with this 5/8 inch ID (inside diameter) tube suitable for use on 1/2" copper tubing, 1/4" PVC pipe, and 1/4" iron pipe.
- R-Value: 2.1
- Packaging: #4 Plastic Bag
- Wall Thickness: 1/2 inch
- For 1/2 inch Copper or 1/4 inch Iron
- Quantity: 4 pieces in a pack, 18 packs per case = total of 64 pieces