Harness the temperature of drain water to preheat water at home -AND/OR- preheat and precool water at processing plants, hotels, hospitals, camps, etc.!
Highlights (Residential Use)
Fresh, cold water takes a lot of energy to be heated. At the same time, when warm water goes down the drain in the shower, about 90% of the energy that was used to heat water in a home is washed out to with it. The Power-Pipe, a drain-water heat recovery system (DWHR), captures some or most of that valuable energy and use it to preheat cold fresh water.
- Patent pending design captures the heat of existing hot water that would otherwise be lost
- Prevents hot water from running out
- Saves you 25% to 40% on your energy bills
- Pays for itself in 2 to 5 years (rate of return 15% to 50% per year)
- Easy to retrofit into almost any home (need vertical shower drainage pipe)
- Requires no maintenance, and lasts over 50 years
- Can be used in industrial, commercial and institutional settings and for other general purposes, in additional to residential settings
How It Works (Residential Use)
Power-Pipe is made of up two main parts: (1) outer coils (made up of one or two copper tubes) that are tightly wrapped around a (2) larger, inner copper pipe. These two parts, which make up the Power-Pipe replace part of your existing vertical drainage pipe (inner pipe) and become part of your fresh water supply line (outer coils).
- As hot water goes down the shower drain (through the inner pipe), it clings to the side of the Power-Pipe wall as a thin "falling film."
- This falling film triggers the transfer of heat from the inner pipe to the outer coils of the Power-Pipe to the fresh water supply (within the coils) - as a result, preheating the water source to your hot water heater (tank, tankless or solar).
- Since copper is an excellent heat conductor, Power-Pipe brings the water supply that would normally measure around 50 F (10 C) up to 77 F (25 C); this dramatic temperature change happens without any compromises to the safety of your drinking water or any noticeable affects to water pressure.
- It's easy enough for any "Do-It-Yourselfer" to install to an existing vertical drainage pipe that's fed by a primary shower.
It Works for Businesses Too (Non-Residential Use)
Power-Pipe can also be utilized for industrial, commercial, institutional and other organizational group uses. The principle of temperature transfer from one water supply to another water supply still applies. The main difference here is, the harness of energy is done in a massive scale, and the temperature of cold fresh water can also be used to cool other materials (e.g., fresh warm milk from cows) for the following applications:
*MURBs stands for Multi Unit Residential Buildings such as apartments, condominiums (condos), etc.
Pulp and Paper
Public Showers (locker rooms, camps, homeless shelters, etc.),
- Power-Pipe and trade;
- 2 Drain Connectors
- Installation DVD
- 10-Year Warranty